Curzon Hall is a large sandstone house built in the 1890’s by Harry Curzon Smith which is listed on the NSW Heritage Register as a site of significance. The building was home to the Vincentian Fathers from 1922 and in 1983 was sold and converted to a Function Centre.
This project sought to increase the capacity of the venue and to add carparking to alleviate growing parking demands being placed on neighbouring streets. The project involved the design of a new ballroom adjacent to the existing building to accommodate 250 people in dinner mode, new kitchens and service facilities and 100 new parking spaces on site.
The new ballroom sits to one side of the main building and is fronted by a sandstone colonnade that speaks to the rhythm of Curzon Hall. The new parking facilities are located under the new ballroom and to the rear of the existing building in a subterranean structure that is topped by an extensive new landscape terrace that services the new building and the original Curzon Hall Ballroom.
David Sutherland was the Design and Project Architect for this project whilst working with TKD Architects.